Have you ever wondered what it takes to be knighted by the Queen of England? Being knighted is one of the highest honors that an individual can hope to receive for their contributions to society, culture, arts, or charity. Over the years, many celebrities have been bestowed with this honor, either as official or honorary knights.
Here are 10 of them and why they deserve their titles.
- Sir Paul McCartney: The legendary Beatles singer and songwriter was knighted in 1997 for his services to music. He is one of the most successful and influential musicians of all time, with over 60 gold discs and 100 million singles sold worldwide.
- Sir Elton John: The flamboyant pop star was knighted in 1998 for his services to music and charitable causes. He has sold more than 300 million records and has raised millions for AIDS research and prevention through his foundation.
- Dame Emma Thompson: The Oscar-winning actress and writer was made a dame in 2018 for her services to drama. She is known for her roles in films such as Sense and Sensibility, Love Actually, and Harry Potter, as well as her activism on human rights and environmental issues.
- Sir Anthony Hopkins: The acclaimed actor was knighted in 1993 for his services to the arts. He is best known for his portrayal of Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, for which he won an Academy Award. He has also starred in films such as The Elephant Man, The Remains of the Day, and The Father.
- Dame Judi Dench: The venerable actress was made a dame in 1988 for her services to drama. She has won numerous awards for her performances on stage and screen, including an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love. She is also famous for playing M in the James Bond franchise.
- Sir Mick Jagger: The Rolling Stones frontman was knighted in 2003 for his services to popular music. He is one of the most influential rock singers of all time, with a career spanning six decades and over 250 million records sold worldwide.
- Dame Angelina Jolie: The Hollywood star was made an honorary dame in 2014 for her services to UK foreign policy and her campaign to end sexual violence in war zones. She is also a UN goodwill ambassador and a humanitarian activist who has adopted six children from different countries.
- Sir Ian McKellen: The respected actor was knighted in 1991 for his services to the performing arts. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest Shakespearean actors of his generation, as well as a prominent advocate for LGBTQ rights. He is also known for his roles as Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings and Magneto in X-Men.
- Sir Bono: The U2 singer was made an honorary knight in 2007 for his services to music and humanitarian causes. He is a global activist who has campaigned for debt relief, AIDS awareness, poverty eradication, and peace through his organization ONE Campaign.
- Sir Steven Spielberg: The legendary director was made an honorary knight in 2001 for his contribution to international film. He is one of the most successful filmmakers of all time, with classics such as Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, and Indiana Jones.
These are just some of the celebrities who have been honored by the royal family with knighthoods. They have all used their fame and talent to make a positive difference in the world through their art or charity work.
Here we present a list of famous people who have been knighted, ranked by fame and popularity by fans of British chivalry, like you.
There are many awards and honors you can receive as a celebrity. Of course, there are the big awards like an Oscar, a Grammy…
Bee Gee Barry Gibb was the latest celebrity to receive a knighthood at Buckingham Palace. Here’s a look at other celebs who have been knighted as well.
26 celebrities who have been knighted
From OBE’s to full-on knighthoods, the royal family has plenty of honors they can bestow upon accomplished individuals.