If you grew up in the US, chances are you’ve had ants on a log at some point in your life. This simple snack consists of spreading peanut butter, cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or another spread on celery, pretzels or bananas and placing raisins (diced olives, chocolate chips, etc.) on top. The name comes from the raisins that look like ants on a branch.
Ants on a log is not only easy to make, but also nutritious and delicious. Celery is low-calorie and high in vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, folate, potassium, and manganese. Peanut butter provides protein and healthy unsaturated fats. Raisins add natural sweetness and fiber.
But did you know that there are many variations of ants on a log that you can try? Whether you want to switch up the ingredients, add some extra flavor, or make it more fun for kids, here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Gnats on a log: Use currants instead of raisins for smaller “ants”.
- Ants on vacation: Skip the raisins altogether for a simpler snack.
- Ants on a Slip ‘n Slide: Drizzle some honey on top of the peanut butter before adding raisins for a sticky and sweet treat.
- Hippopotamuses on Thomases: Use half an English muffin with peanut butter and prunes for a more filling snack.
- Slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, mini chocolate chips, freeze dried raspberries or other fruit, granola, cereal, toffee chips, sunflower seeds and honey, peanuts, bananas…the possibilities are endless!
You can also experiment with different nut butters or spreads, such as almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, Nutella, jam, or hummus. You can also use different types of celery or pretzels for more variety.
Ants on a log is a great snack for kids to make themselves or with some help from adults. It’s a fun way to get them to eat more vegetables and fruits. You can also let them decorate their own ants on a log with their favorite toppings. As one recipe from Allrecipes says: “This is a fun snack that kids can make. It consists of artfully arranged celery, peanut butter, and raisins.”
So next time you’re looking for a quick and easy snack that’s also healthy and tasty, why not try ants on a log? You might be surprised by how much you enjoy this classic snack with a twist.