Jaziyah Parker, a 12-year-old girl from Fort Worth, Texas, is being hailed as a hero for saving her family from carbon monoxide poisoning, a silent and potentially fatal gas that can leak from faulty appliances or vehicles.Embed from Getty Images
On May 23, Jaziyah woke up in the middle of the night and heard a beeping noise coming from downstairs. She realized it was the carbon monoxide alarm next to the wood burner and alerted her parents, who were feeling sick and dizzy. She also called 911 and asked for help.
The Fort Worth Fire Department said that the family had accidentally left their car running in the garage, which caused the gas to build up in the house. Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless and tasteless, and can cause headaches, nausea, confusion and even death.
Jaziyah’s quick thinking and bravery saved the lives of her mother, father, brother and sister, who were all taken to the hospital for treatment. The fire department honored her with a Queen Elizabeth II bravery award and a plaque on Tuesday.
“I’m the one who is supposed to protect [my children],” Jaziyah’s mother, Ariel Mitchell, said at the ceremony. “It’s like I was the one getting protected by them.”Embed from Getty Images
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat that can be prevented by installing detectors and checking them regularly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least 430 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S. every year.
Jaziyah’s story is not the only one of heroism in the face of this danger. In January, a four-year-old boy in Wales woke up his parents when he heard a carbon monoxide alarm going off in their home. He had learned about fire safety at school and knew what to do.
“Grayson demonstrated he was aware of an emergency, he remained calm and was able to articulate calmly to his parents, notifying them of the potential danger,” his grandmother Toni said.
These cases show the importance of educating children about carbon monoxide poisoning and having working alarms in every home. As Jaziyah said, “You never know when something bad might happen.”
- Girl, 12, honored for saving family from carbon monoxide poisoning | WLBT | May 24, 2023
- Carbon monoxide poisoning: How to prevent it and what to do if you suspect it | CNN | May 23, 2023
- Carbon monoxide poisoning: Symptoms, causes and treatment | Medical News Today | May 22, 2023