Baked potatoes are easy and satisfying. They are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and can be topped with anything you like. Here are some tips to make them perfect:
1. Choose russet or Idaho potatoes for baking. They have low moisture and high starch, which makes them ideal for baking.
2. Scrub and dry the potatoes well. Prick them with a fork to let steam escape. This prevents them from bursting in the oven.
3. Rub them with oil and season with salt and pepper. Oil crisps up the skin and salt adds flavor.
4. Place them on a baking sheet or directly on an oven rack spaced apart. Do not wrap them in foil, as this will make them soggy.
5. Bake them at 400°F for 50 minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size. Check if they are done by piercing or squeezing them gently (with oven mitts). They should be soft inside and crisp outside.
6. Cut a cross in the center of each potato and fluff up the flesh with a fork. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Some of our favorite toppings are:
– Butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, cheese
– Chili con carne, shredded cheese, sour cream
– Broccoli florets, cheese sauce
– Tuna salad, mayonnaise
– Roasted vegetables, hummus
– Pulled pork, barbecue sauce
– Chicken curry
You can also try baking sweet potatoes for a change of pace.
We hope this guide helps you make perfect baked potatoes every time!
We love potatoes in every form, but oven-baked potatoes will forever hold a special place in our heart. They’re perfect both in their simplicity and their versatility.
One potato, two potato—you’ll be making more when you use all the tips here for fluffy baked potatoes with crispy skin.
Perfect fluffy baked potatoes with a salted crispy skin. Tested countless times, this is the best way to bake potatoes in the oven!
Nothing beats a steamy baked potato! The best ones happen the old fashioned-way: in the oven. Here’s the scoop on making perfect baked potatoes with crispy skin.
This baked potato has a crisp, golden skin, and is light and fluffy on the inside – a perfect baked potato. Serve with a dollop of sour cream if you like. Great comfort food!