When Israel described Hamas’ response to the latest proposal as a rejection, it raised doubts about negotiations for a ceasefire and hostage agreement that could prevent a Gaza war, sparking a blame game between both sides.
Hamas has submitted a response to Qatar mediators, proposing amendments to Israel’s proposal, including a permanent ceasefire and a timeline for Israel’s complete withdrawal from Gaza, a source familiar with the negotiations told CNN earlier on Tuesday.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, on a diplomatic mission in Qatar, has been assessing the response from Hamas handed to mediators from Qatar and Egypt. In a statement that indicated a positive approach, Hamas said it was ready to “deal positively” with the ceasefire process but emphasized the requirement for Israel to agree to a permanent ceasefire.
However, an Israeli official, who preferred to remain anonymous, described the response as a deviation from the main parameters of the deal, stating, “Hamas has changed all of the main and most meaningful parameters” and “rejected the proposal for a hostage release that was presented by President Biden.”
The response from Hamas, which came after an endorsement of the ceasefire plan by the UN Security Council, sought “a complete halt of the ongoing aggression against Gaza” and a full withdrawal of Israeli forces from the territory. Hamas official, Izzat al-Rishq, termed the response as “responsible, serious and positive,” believing it opened up a “wide pathway” to reach an agreement.
Despite the optimistic tone from al-Rishq, the Israeli perspective presented a stark contrast. According to an anonymous Israeli government official, Hamas’s rejection is seen as changing the course of the proposed deal significantly. This response from Hamas comes after Israel launched a campaign in Gaza on 7 October in retaliation for an attack on southern Israel. Since then, the conflict has resulted in numerous casualties and hostages on both sides.
The proposal, as described by Biden, involves three phases, starting with a six-week ceasefire followed by negotiations for a permanent cessation of hostilities and a major reconstruction plan for Gaza. This proposed plan, however, has been met with skepticism from Israeli leadership, with far-right ministers pressuring Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to resist the US-backed proposal, which they perceive as capitulating to Hamas.
In this high-stakes diplomatic environment, the U.S. has dispatched senior administration figures, including Barbara Leaf and Derek Chollet, to assist in mediating efforts and has pledged substantial aid for Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank.
Relevant articles:
– Senior Israeli official: Hamas rejected the outline of the hostage deal, m.jpost.com, 06/12/2024
– Ceasefire talks in turmoil as Hamas responds to proposal, CNN, 06/12/2024
– fire and Hostage Deal Proposal, Changed Parameters Laid Out by Biden, Haaretz, 06/12/2024
– Ceasefire talks in jeopardy after Israel accuses Hamas of ‘rejecting’ proposal, The Times of India, 06/12/2024
Glad you enjoyed above story, be sure to follow TrendyDigests on Microsoft Start.